“Marked or governed by feeling.” (Webster).
1. CAN NOT PREACH Election because the daughter of Brother and Sister Elite, is in attendance with her family, and they belong to an Arminian church. And we do not want to offend them.
2. CAN NOT PREACH ON BAPTISM because some of the church members have loved ones who have been sprinkled, and they would surely believe the Pastor’s remarks were directed toward them.
3. CAN NOT PREACH ON CLOSED COMMUNION, for some will feel left out, and nobody likes that left out feeling.
4. CAN NOT PREACH ON MISSIONS, because we do not want to offend our members or visitors who have some Primitive Baptist kinfolks.
5. CAN NOT PREACH CHURCH TRUTH, for there are some good people in the invisible church, and many of them are fiends to some members of our church.
6. CAN NOT PREACH ON HOLY LIVING, for everyone sins. Therefore, we are not qualified to rebuke our brother or sister for sinning. “Who is it that is so sin free that they can cast the first stone?” (It was rank and God defying hypocrites to whom Christ put this question; it was not addressed to the church. The Lord’s church is not only qualified to officially rebuke sin, but is commanded of the Lord to do so (John 8:1-10; I Corinthians 5:12-13, 6:2-3; Romans 6:14-15; I John 2:1).
7. CAN NOT PREACH STEWARDSHIP, because Brother Hardship is in debt way over his head, and to preach tithing would be like rubbing salt in his wounds.
SHAMEFUL RESULT OF THE ABOVE SENTIMENTAL RESTRICTIONS IS A CHURCH AND
PASTOR THAT SIMPLY, CAN NOT PREACH!
Nevertheless, the word of God admonishes every New Testament church and Pastor, saying: “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” (II Timothy 4:2).
And the first New Testament preachers said: “... WE OUGHT TO OBEY GOD RATHER THAN MAN” (Acts 5:29).
Return To O. B. Mink Page
Return To PBC Home